How does it happen?
When a female and a male have sexual intercourse (the penis enters the vagina) and the male ejaculates (semen leaves the man’s penis) within several days of the female’s ovulation, fertilization (pregnancy) can occur. Ovulation is when a woman releases an egg from her ovary to her fallopian tube. Fertilization is when the sperm reaches the egg.
The sperm swims up from the vagina through the cervix and uterus to meet the egg in the fallopian tube. Two to five milliliters of sperm are released during ejaculation. Each milliliter can contain from 40 to 400 million sperm. Only one is needed to fertilize an egg.
Implantation is when the egg burrows itself into the lining of the uterus. This happens about a week after the sperm fertilizes the egg. After this, the stages of pregnancy continue. Pregnancy lasts about 280 days or about 9 months.
Frequently asked questions:
- Can you get pregnant from anal sex?
- Pregnancy cannot happen from anal sex. Pregnancy can only happen after sexual intercourse where the male ejaculates inside the female’s vagina.
- Can you get pregnant from oral sex?
- Pregnancy cannot happen from oral sex. Again, pregnancy can only happen after sexual intercourse where the male ejaculates inside the female’s vagina.
- Can you get pregnant the first time you have sex?
- Yes, you can get pregnant the first time you have sex. Any female that is ovulating (releasing eggs) can get pregnant.
- Can you get pregnant from dry sex (dry humping) or fingering?
- No. Pregnancy can only happen when the penis and vagina come into contact and the male ejaculates inside the vagina.
- Can you get pregnant by having sex in the pool?
- Yes, you can get pregnant in any water if actual intercourse takes place.
- Can you get pregnant during your period?
- Yes, you can get pregnant while on your period. Some women ovulate early which can happen during their period. Sperm can live up to five days inside the vagina, so the sperm can still be there to fertilize the egg that is released during ovulation.
- Does sperm die once it hits the air?
- Sperm can live three to five days in a warm moist environment. Sperm does die once it is dry.
Want more information on Sex and Pregnancy? Contact us!